"Motherhood is not a burden to be borne, it is a privilege to be enjoyed. It is not a trial of endurance, it is a time of celebration." Winnie Dalley

5.04.2011

Mommy Moment

I have a good friend who is the mother of 6 children. She shared with me some of her feelings about her role as a woman and I loved it and wanted to share, with her permission:).
"Just today someone stopped me in disbelief and said, "are all those children yours"?! To which I enthusiastically said, "Yes! Thank goodness they are, and we have two more at home!" "Six?!" the guy said. Then he just smiled and went on his way. I LOVE being a mom. I love being married and being a wife and caring for my husband. And I love having friends who feel the same way- we gotta stick together, us homemakers. The world is trying to make us a thing of the past, but I will spend all my time and energy making sure I set the example for my daughters to pick up the torch and follow me into womanhood and rejoice in their roles as well. I hope deeply they want to follow. It was thrilling and humbling to me when my Anna had an "All About Me" poster to do for school and when it asked what she wanted to be when she grew up, she wrote two simple words "a mom". I love that Rachel, who is two, brings her stroller with her about town and pushes her baby on our errands and lovingly checks on her and makes sure she is ok. And I think one of the sweetest feelings in the world is holding a child in your arms, feeling their warmth, their love and their trust. What a sacred role we have been given!"

I couldn't agree more! If any of you reading this have any mommy/womanly moments you want to share, I would love it! Please comment and then I'll post it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! So beautiful and so well put. I love being a mommy too!!

Miss you!

Laura said...

I have a lifetime of them....some very difficult (Later, these seem to be the most beautiful).

Motherhood is the school for Godhood!! Imagine truly becoming like our Mother above?!!!

My whole heart rejoices over the many, many miracles that have made me and shaped me as a mother. The most glorious of all names is truly Mother.

jp said...

That's awesome! People in the City generally tell me I'm "too young" to be having a baby (and I've been asked several times "don't you want to do anything in your life?") There's a general expectation for women to earn money -- especially after having babies. I get some incredulous looks when I tell people this is what I genuinely want to do. A good friend recently told me (almost like a shameful secret) that she loves being home with her new baby and doesn't want to "work" anymore. But I believe it's an actual job (one I would apply for if it was a recognized profession) and for women who truly love it and pour their souls into it ... It's the ultimate "passion project." It's an art. A beautiful thing ... And it's awesome to find other thoughtful, intelligent, creative women who feel the same way.